Ordinary motion (presented by John Johnson 22nd Nov 2018)
‘Labour to support the continuity of free TV licences for over 75 year olds’
This CLP notes:
- Poverty levels in this age group is 18.5% compared to 11% among the whole population.
- Our pensions are below that of Mexico & Chile one measurement puts us 36th in the world league.
- The German state pension is £26,000, the French state Pension is £15,811 and the British state pension is £7,488.
This CLP believes:
- Free TV Licences for 75 year olds must continue.
- The Treasury concession to the BBC is due to end in June 2020 and there is a possibility that this burden may be passed on by the BBC, saving £745 million a year.
- This concession is to be reinstated.
This CLP resolves:
- That every member contact James Brokenshire MP individually seeking his vocal support in Parliament to retain the concession.
- That this motion is circulated to Tom Watson MP seeking his vocal support in Parliament to retain the concession.
- That this motion is circulated to the NEC.