General Election 2019
My name is David Tingle. I am a Sidcup resident who grew up in Colchester with two loving parents and an older brother.
At 15, I lost my mum to cancer, so you can imagine amongst the obvious turmoil I consoled myself that one day in the future this would be curable and that other children wouldn’t have to go through that. I remember saying to myself, if only she could have hung around a few more years, that cure could have been found. It’s now 2019. That cure has not yet been found. I don’t want to see cancer waiting times going up and cancer care getting worse. I want to see us actually BEAT cancer in my lifetime. We’re not going to achieve that with the Conservatives. We need a fully funded NHS and a proper strategy.
Despite the traumatic events, I got excellent grades and top grades at A Level. I went to Loughborough University and studied Aeronautical Engineering.
"I worked as a maths teacher in a school where I had to buy pencils because the department budget was gone." Dave Tingle - prospective parliamentary candidate for Old Bexley & Sidcup
I worked as a maths teacher in a school where I had to buy pencils because the department budget was gone. We are not talking about a fancy new 3D printer, no. Pencils. I spent some time in a school where photocopying was banned because it cost too much. We are a rich, proud country. Let’s not let our next generation down. We need a fully funded education system to help propel us into the future. I unfortunately then had a small health problem and had to leave my job.
I realised that being signed off sick was not grounds for the government to cover anything. They classed me as fit enough to work (despite being signed off by a doctor) yet because I had made myself “voluntarily unemployed” I was not eligible for any support. I had -£2000 in the bank and was worried about being able to feed and house myself. Luckily, I was well again in two months and managed to get myself out of the situation. I was lucky.
I found myself a job working as a tutor, tutoring looked after children. They had been through awful circumstances. I saw first-hand the complete lack of support the Conservatives are giving these children. I now run my own tuition centre that follows the Sutton Trust recommendations, offering tuition for those who can afford it alongside free tuition for those who can’t.
In 2018, I was a victim of crime, there could have been a police officer working on that case, able to look at the evidence that had been supplied and trying to find out who did it. But my case was closed. We can’t keep closing cases, we need the funding and resources. We’re not going to get that with the Conservatives. I think there are many things that can be implemented to prevent crime occurring in the first place however, when it does occur, I don’t want to receive a letter from the police, I want it sorted.
We need to sort these issues. We need to get the country back up and running. We need a Labour government. Vote Labour on 12th December.
If you have a query or want to know more about our policies then please get in touch with our team. You can get in touch in many ways:
Social Media: See the links at the bottom of the page to get in touch via Facebook or Twitter.
Email: email@example.com We aim to reply within 72 hours
Call: 020 8302 6843. This is an answering service and we will respond to messages within one week.
Write to: 31 Sidcup Hill, Sidcup, Kent. DA14 6HJ
It’s time for real change
- This election is a once-in-a-generation chance to transform our country and take on the vested interests holding people back.
- Labour will deliver the real change Britain needs, so that no one is held back and no community left behind.
- Labour will put wealth and power in the hands of the many. Boris Johnson’s Conservatives, who think they’re born to rule, will only look after the privileged few.
- You can’t trust Boris Johnson. After years of Conservative cuts to vital services and tax handouts for the rich, Labour will be on your side.
- Labour will rebuild our public services, and give our NHS, schools and police the money they need, by taxing those at the top to properly fund services for everyone.
- The choice at this election could not be clearer. Labour is determined to bring a divided country back together, while the Tories and the Lib Dems only seek to divide us further.
- This general election is our last chance to tackle the climate emergency with a Green Industrial Revolution at the heart of our plans to transform Britain.
- The future is ours to make. It’s time for real change – for the many, not the few.
A country for the many, not the few
- Labour will build a fairer Britain that cares for all, where wealth and power are shared. The big polluters, financial speculators and corporate tax-dodgers have had a free ride for too long.
- We will be on the side of workers and renters. Our policies will deliver decent jobs and secure homes, better pay and fairer rents, and a large-scale housebuilding programme.
- Labour will end damaging Tory cuts and rebuild the public services we all rely on.
- Under Labour’s plan for real change, we will invest in every region and nation across the UK, ensuring no community is left behind.
- Labour will end in-work poverty, food poverty, food bank use and rough sleeping
Give our NHS what it needs
- After years of Conservative neglect, Labour will deliver the real change the NHS needs – more nurses and doctors, cuts to waiting times and an end to privatisation.
- Labour will ensure everybody gets the care they need with free prescriptions and free personal social care.
- You can’t trust Boris Johnson with our NHS. GP numbers are falling, the number of people waiting for urgent cancer treatment has trebled, and the waiting list for operations has reached a record 4.4 million.
- Labour created the NHS. We will always give the NHS the money and support it needs.
A fully-funded national education service
- As part of Labour’s plan for real change, we will invest in a national education service so everyone can learn at every stage of their lives.
- We will abolish tuition fees, provide free school meals to all primary school children, and reduce class sizes to under 30 for all 5-, 6-, and 7-year-olds.
- Labour will fund 30 hours’ free childcare for all two to four year olds, so every child has the best start in life and parents get the support they need.
- You can’t trust Boris Johnson to properly fund our schools. Conservative cuts mean many head teachers are barely able to keep their schools’ budgets afloat.
- Labour will invest in our children’s futures, with an education system that’s free to use from cradle to grave.
A Green Industrial Revolution
- This general election is our last chance to radically change course, or face the threat of a hostile and dying planet. We don’t have time to waste.
- Under Labour’s plan for real change, we will usher in a Green Industrial Revolution with good, clean jobs that will transform towns, cities and communities that have been held back and neglected for decades.
- Labour’s Green New Deal will have the most ambitious climate targets of any country in the world and will invest on a massive scale. We will lift the Tory ban on onshore wind, and invest in new solar, tidal and wind energy to create 400,000 good jobs across the country.
- The Conservatives’ manifesto is being written by a lobbyist for big polluters and Boris Johnson has called global warming “a primitive fear” that is “without foundation”.
- At this election, the choice is clear – we can either take action to protect future generations, or allow the Tories to accelerate our planet’s destruction.
Give people the final say on Brexit
- For over three years, the Conservatives have failed on Brexit. Boris Johnson has spent months promising that we would leave the EU on 31st October. The failure to do so is his alone.
- The only way to get Brexit sorted and bring the country back together is by giving the people the final say. Within six months, we will deliver a public vote with the choice of a sensible leave deal or remain. And we will implement whatever you decide.
- Boris Johnson’s Conservatives want to use a sell-out Brexit deal or No Deal to weaken our rights and protections, in exchange for a one-sided trade deal with Donald Trump in the interests of the wealthy.Boris Johnson’s sell-out Brexit deal would lead to years of continuing negotiations and uncertainty. Labour will get Brexit sorted by giving the people the final say in six months.
- Boris Johnson’s sell-out Brexit deal would lead to years of continuing negotiations and uncertainty. Labour will get Brexit sorted by giving the people the final say in six months
It’s time for real change. Are you with us? Old Bexley & Sidcup Labour Group